Saturday, October 29, 2016

Lantern Table Topper

Lantern Blocks



Lantern blocks are simple to make but look quite pretty. Time was running out to make more table toppers to take along as gifts so I decided to make something that I was familiar with, the lantern blocks.
I first saw this pattern a year or so ago  in the Quilter's World Magazine July 2015. The quilt pattern was called Beach Calypso on page 52.  It uses  2 1/2 inch fabric strips cut to 8 1/2 inch length, and 2 1/2 inch squares at the corners.

The blocks are 8" by 8" inches finished. Instead of making a quilt out of them, I made them into a simple table topper last summer for my friend B's birthday.

B's birthday table topper- July 2015


That table topper was made up of eight 8 inch blocks plus borders, but in Germany most of my relatives have smaller tables so I decided to make them from six blocks each.

These easy blocks just zipped along so I ended up making 3 of these, 2 fro give away and one to keep for myself. I finished the last one the day before we left on vacation.


The inner border was made from a 1 1/2 inch strip of fabric and the outer border was 2 1/2 inches wide. 
The completed table toppers are 22" By 30" inches in size.
The recipients were quite pleased to get them, I'm happy to say.




Happy quilting! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home