Friday, August 28, 2015

Trellis Place Mat

Trellis Place Mats



After completing the Trellis table topper, I had some blocks and fabric left over, so I decided to make some matching place mats. I used 4 blocks for each place mat, 2 blocks arranged side by side on the point, the 3rd block I cut in half  to use at the top and bottom to create the flat edge, then I cut the 4th block in quarters to make the corners of the mat.  They zipped together quite easily.

Next I added the sashing borders to make the place mats measure 13" by 18", a good size for a placemat with a bit of room for shrinkage (although I did wash and dry the fabric first so there should be little shrinkage.)  I added 1 1/2 inch of swirly green sashing to the top and bottom to make the mats wider, then sewed on the 3" floral sashing all around.


I had some solid green pea pod coloured fabric to put on the backs and also a lot of left over batting from other projects. I made mock binding for the mats (by bringing the back fabric around to the front, folding it over and stitching all around the edges.)




In making these blocks there are a lot of triangle pieces cut off and I hated to waste them, so I laid them out to see if I could create a pleasing pattern. I ended up making 2 more place mats out of all the scrappy triangles with the same sashing border. I ran out of green for the back, but I had a leftover piece of turquoise from the blocks, just enough for 2 backs and the extra inch around all the sides to make the mock binding for these as well.

Triangle Scraps = 2 place mats


I quilted them all in the ditch before stitching the binding. The Trellis place mats look quite summery, I think.  I'm quite pleased with how they look and I have been using them on our table with delight.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home